STEAM BOILER MAINTENANCE AND REPAIR
A heating boiler does not actually boil water except when it’s a steam boiler.
The biggest thing that makes a steam boiler different is the amount of energy a steam boiler uses to convert water at it’s boiling point into steam and raise the temperature of the steam above the boiling point. This is superheated steam is then distributed to the radiation, which releases heat to the heated spaces and converts the steam back to water before returning it to the boiler to start the process all over again.
A steam boiler must burn more fuel to raise the temperature of the water to boiling level and convert it to superheated steam. Converting water into steam in the boiler efficiently and then converting it back to water by removing heat efficiently in the steam radiation is vital to conserve energy dollars and increase the life of all system components.
The Most Common Problems with Steam Boilers Systems:
- No heat:
- It’s not enough just to heat the water. It must be converted to steam. Failure to raise a head of steam will result in no heat at all
- Not enough heat:
- Problems with burner input
- Water surging resulting in burner short cycling
- Failure of steam traps
- Water level is frequently low
- Failing water level controls
- Improper condensate return causing fresh water to be introduced
- Pipes are noisy
- Water accumulation in piping coming in contact with steam
- Radiator and piping leaks
- Loss of steam and hot condensate is a loss of energy dollars
- Fresh water being brought into the system to make up for these leaks causes acidity in the system and will result in a rapid deterioration of all system components
- Radiator won’t heat
- Steam supply, steam trap, or air vent problems
A water meter that is monitored for consumption is a must on all steam boiler systems.
The proper operation of steam traps is also crucial to efficient system operation. Most manufacturers recommend a check of steam trap operation annually and replacement in as little as three years.
Low water safety controls, pressure controls and pressure relief valves must be serviced regularly to ensure safe operation and prevent the possibility of dangerous situations which can include a boiler explosion.
Let the team at Ambrose Mechanical Services, service and maintain your steam boiler system. Just like any boiler system, without proper maintenance, in addition to a loss of heat, there could be harmful and, even life-threatening consequences.
Call us today for a system assessment: 585-663-7826